W Rockland Street Philly Spring Cleanup Details! Join us Saturday, April 2
This is the 3rd year W Rockland Street is participating in the city-wide Philly Spring Cleanup. Block residents and volunteers will be out on the block throughout the day on Saturday, April 2 from 9am – 4pm.
Interested in volunteering? If you are not a block resident but you would like to help out with our vacant lot transformation projects, we are still looking for volunteers! Help make Germantown a cleaner, safer place to live for all. Please stop by at anytime throughout the day. Register online here or just email email@example.com and we’ll provide you with more details. This is a good opportunity to learn more about community organizing through participation. We would be happy to help you in the future with projects you’d like to see happen on your own block!
We have two big goals for the 2011 cleanup:
1. Give W Rockland St a solid spring cleaning from top to bottom.
2. Launch the W Rockland St Vacant Lot Transformation Project! We’ll cleanup all 3 vacant lots on W Rockland St and begin the first phase of transforming one of the lots into a sustainable litter free zone and community garden.
Vacant Lot Transformation Project
- A group of block residents and volunteers from Germantown and beyond will be working to cleanup all 3 vacant lots on W Rockland St. Join us!
- Remove all debris and dumping around each vacant lot.
- Cut down all overgrowth and sweep properties.
- Build garden beds and plant in the lot located at the top of the block and create a play area for young kids. The other 2 lots will see major improvements this Spring. Stay tuned for more details…
- We will also cleanup the property surrounding the abandoned houses at the corner of W Rockland St and Greene St (at the bottom of W Rockland St). [BIG UPDATE: We are now also working with the City’s Managing Director’s Office and L&I to find a permanent solution to these dangerous eyesores. Hooray!]
General Block Maintenance
- Residents will give their own homes, porches and yards a good spring cleaning!
- Work to cleanup the street and sidewalk areas along the entire block together.
- Work with our neighbors to assist the elderly.
- Sweep the grounds of St. Francis of Assisi Parish and the DePaul Catholic School.